The Gryphon Theatre was built in 1926 as part of a major addition to the East Side School (originally constructed in 1878) which is now known as the Laramie Plains Civic Center.
Located in the heart of Laramie, Wyoming, the LPCC is the oldest school building in the state and was also the first stone building in the Wyoming Territory. The building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since March 17, 1981.
The LPCC began making significant contributions to the city of Laramie from its inception. The largest contribution of the building was made through educating the community’s youth for 100 years until 1979, as well as providing a meeting place for the local members of the community. As a point of comparison, the LPCC has a longer history than the University of Wyoming, which was established in 1886. The LPCC has continued to grow and adapt to the needs of the Laramie community, serving to fulfill the role of education, recreation, retail, entertainment, and workplace.